Monday, August 6, 2007

Becoming Jane

Okay, I need to find a well-written biography of Jane Austen, no matter how thin it appears to be. All I seem to know is that not much is known about her, and I feel the urge to expand that knowledge.

My Jane Austen kicks come and go in spurts, but it is consistent that once a spurt ends, it will always come again. This surge is due to the enjoyable movie "Becoming Jane" which released into theaters this weekend. It was nice to see a fairly good crowd at both showings I attended (suuuch a geek), and I hope the movie does well. Anne Hathaway was very charming, and this is definately my favorite role for her yet. She presented the intelligence, irony, and inner beauty which good readers easily find in Jane's works.

And thus my craving appears again. The good news is this will undoubtedly happen to other readers, and we should see a larger smattering of Austen-related products and information on the market over the next few months. I think I'll hit the bookstore after a few errands in town this evening.

And it just occurred to me: while I generally love novelizations of screenplays, if they turn this into a book I may have to strangle them with the irony.

No comments: